Farmers' suicides

Farmers' suicides

Share this article Share this article

According to the Accidental Deaths & Suicides in India 2016 (released in November, 2019) by National Crime Records Bureau (please click here, here, here and here to access):

• A decline of almost -2.0 percent was observed in suicides during 2016 (1,31,008 suicides) as compared to 2015 (1,33,623 suicides). The rate of suicides has decreased by -0.3 points during 2016 (viz. 10.3 per lakh population) over 2015 (viz. 10.6 per lakh population). Please click here and here to access.

• A total of 6,270 farmers/ cultivators committed suicides during 2016, accounting for 4.79 percent of total suicide victims in the country. However, 5,109 agricultural labourers committed suicides during 2016, which is nearly 3.9 percent of total suicide victims. Therefore, the total number of suicides in the farming sector (committed by farmers plus agricultural labourers) was 11,379 in 2016, accounting for roughly 8.7 percent of total suicide victims in India. Please click here to access.

• A 'farmer/ cultivator' is one whose profession is farming and include those who cultivate on their own land as well as those who cultivate on leased land/ other's land with or without the assistance of agricultural labourers. An 'agricultural labourer' is a person who primarily works in farming sector (agriculture/ horticulture) whose main source of income is from agriculture labour activities. Please click here to access.

• A total of 5,995 male farmers/ cultivators and 275 female farmers/ cultivators committed suicides, accounting for 95.61 percent and 4.39 percent of total farmers’ suicides (viz. 6,270), respectively. Please click here to access.

• A total of 4,476 male agricultural labourers and 633 female agricultural labourers committed suicides, accounting for 87.61 percent and 12.39 percent of total agricultural labourers’ suicides (viz. 5,109), respectively. Please click here to access.

• Certain states/ UTs namely, West Bengal, Bihar, Nagaland, Chandigarh, Dadar & Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu, Delhi UT and Lakshadweep reported zero suicides of farmers/ cultivators as well as agricultural labourers. Please click here to access.

• Most farm suicides (viz. total suicides by farmers/ cultivators as well as agricultural labourers) in 2016 were recorded in Maharashtra (3,661), followed by Karnataka (2,079), Madhya Pradesh (1,321), Andhra Pradesh (804) and Chhattisgarh (682). Please click here to access.

• Most suicides by farmers/ cultivators in 2016 were reported from Maharashtra (2,550, which is around 40.7 percent of total suicide by farmers/ cultivators), followed by Karnataka (1,212), Telangana (632), Madhya Pradesh (599) and Chhattisgarh (585). Please click here to access.

• Most suicides by agricultural labourers in 2016 were recorded in Maharashtra (1,111), followed by Karnataka (867), Madhya Pradesh (722), Andhra Pradesh (565) and Gujarat (378). Please click here to access.

• The ADSI 2016 report does not provide the reasons behind farm suicides.
 


 

Write Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Video Archives

Archives

share on Facebook
Twitter
RSS
Feedback
Read Later

Contact Form

Please enter security code
      Close